Newsletter for the Second Sunday before Advent
17th Nov 2019
THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CROMER STREET, LONDON WC1H 8JU.
SECOND SUNDAY BEFORE ADVENT : THE LIVING GOD.
HYMNS FOR THIS PARISH MASS: 234 466 276 490
READINGS FOR THIS PARISH MASS: Job 19.23-27a; 2 Thessalonians 2.1-5, 13-end; Luke 20.27-38.
FOR YOUR PRAYERS: Jill Mitra, Daniel,
John Joshua, Alma Godfrey, Geraldine Taylor,
Emmanuel Amui, Joan Mitchell, Marianna Sagovsky,
Lula Weldegebriel, Marie-Jo Dioudonnat, Fr Paul
Walmsly-McCloed, Robert Wratten, Fr Allan Scott.
IN MEMORIAM: Florence Cassidy, Tony Gray,
RIP: James Shaw, Frank Dobson, MP., Celana Bolvian.
MASSES FOR THIS COMING WEEK
(33rd Week in Ordinary Time)
Wednesday 6 pm St Edmund, Priscilla Lydia Sellon
Thursday 6 pm Presentation of the Virgin
Friday 12 45 pm St Cecelia
Saturday 10 30 am St Clement Bishop (Mission Day)
Recitation of the Holy Rosary
Walsingham Chapel at 11 am
(Open Morning from 10 am ‘til 12 30 pm)
Next Sunday November 24th at 11 am
The Feast of Christ the King
NOTICES THIS WEEK
1. “SACRIFICE” : A CONCERT OF READINGS AND MUSIC BASED ON THE THEME OF SACRIFICE which has been directed by our own church architect, Jonathan Louth and will take place in this church this Thursday 21st November from 7 15 pm until 8 pm. Tickets from the Archi Cantores Website or on the door on the night. See posters and fliers at the back of church for more details.
2. ADVENT BIBLE STUDY GROUPS “THE PROMISE OF HIS COMING” - DEVELOPING THEMES AND CONVERSATION BASED ON THE GOSPEL READINGS FOR EACH ADVENT SUNDAY. BIBLE STUDY GROUP MEETS AFTER EACH SUNDAY MASS AT 12 30 PM AND COMES WITH A SIMPLE LUNCH.
Sunday 1st December (Advent Sunday) Matthew 24.36-44 “Keeping Awake”
Sunday 8th December (Advent 2) Matthew 3.1-12 “The Baptism of Jesus”
Sunday 15th December (Advent 3) Matthew 11.2-11 “The Greatest Prophet, John the Baptist”
Sunday 22nd December (Advent 4) Matthew 1.18-end “Joseph’s Dream and Jesus’ Birth”
2. HOLY CROSS CHURCH VISION AND MISSION DAY takes place in church on Saturday 23rd November from 11 am until 3 30 pm. The day will provide an exciting opportunity to plan our future mission in the light of recent events and developments. We hope to explore the legacy of Luke Jeram’s ‘The Moon Museum’ as well as reshape our Mission Action Plan, which runs out at the end of this year. We also hope to highlight the opening of the Louis Lewis Rooms in the crypt and decide upon its future use and our promise to develop this site in favour of local Mission. We will examine our current operation and decide in which areas we need to enhance, deepen and develop our “church turned inside out and in favour of the local community”. All are welcome to attend this event. There will be a break for a delicious home cooked meal at half time! Do put this date in your diaries! And do come…
3. FOR YOUR DIARIES - ADVANCE NOTICE OF TWO CAROL SERVICES IN THIS CHURCH :
The first of these is our Annual Morning Carol Service on Monday 9th December at 11 am. We will be joined by members of Greatcroft Daycare Centre and the King’s Cross Brunswick Neighbourhood Association with children from Argyle School.
The second is our Annual Carol Service for Goodenough College which takes place on Wednesday 11th December at 6 30 pm.
4. P A C T S LEAFLETS FOR INDIVIDUAL GUIDED PRAYER AND PARISH MONTHLY INTERCESSIONS BOOKLETS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE BACK OF CHURCH. Both are available on the parish website (see above).
5. COPIES OF SERMONS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE BACK OF CHURCH. Please take ONE copy from the plastic folders. Each pack contains several! A backlist of sermons can be found on the parish website.
6. A WARM WELCOME TO ALL OUR NEWCOMERS AND VISITORS THIS MORNING. Tea and Coffee with homemade cake will be served after this service. Do stay for a chat…