Newsletter for the Sunday Next before Lent
3rd Mar 2019
THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CROMER STREET, LONDON WC1H 8JU.
THE SUNDAY NEXT BEFORE LENT : JESUS CHRIST IS GOD MADE VISIBLE
HYMNS FOR THIS PARISH MASS: 339 343 234 466
READINGS FOR THIS PARISH MASS: Exodus 34.29-35; 2 Corinthians 3.12-4.2; Luke 9.28-36.
PRAY FOR THOSE IN NEED: Jill Mitra, Daniel,
John Joshua, Alma Godfrey, Geraldine Taylor,
Sylvia and Emmanuel Amui, Malcolm Holness.
IN MEMORIAM: Joan Maw, Voycirch Skorupski.
RIP: Marybel Moore, Archdeacon John Lewis,
MASSES THIS WEEK (3rd March to 10th March)
THE BEGINNING OF LENT -
ASH WEDNESDAY MASS WITH THE
IMPOSITION OF ASHES AT 7 PM
Thursday 6 pm Perpetua and Felicity, Martyrs
Friday 12 45 pm Edward King, Bp. of Lincoln
Friday Stations of the Cross at 6 pm
Saturday 10 30 am Geoffrey Studdert-Kennedy, Priest.
NEXT SUNDAY’S PARISH MASS
10th March at 11 am
The First Sunday of Lent (followed by 12 30 pm Bible Study)
THIS MORNING’S PARISH MASS – WITH THE RITE OF ANOINTING AND THE LAYING ON OF HANDS.
LENT BEGINS THIS (ASH) WEDNESDAY, WHEN THERE WILL BE A MASS
AT 7 PM IN THIS CHURCH WITH IMPOSITION OF ASHES.
During Lent we will be following a special Lenten bible study course
beginning this coming Sunday after Mass at 12 30 pm with a simple lunch.
See The Parish Lent Leaflet (included with your papers this morning) for full details.
STATIONS OF THE CROSS takes place each Friday during Lent, beginning this Friday at 6 pm.
NOTICES THIS WEEK
1. OUR PARISH LENT LEAFLET is now available. Please take yours home and study it carefully. It gives full details of all special Lenten services and events and makes suggestion for your Lenten observance as well as recommending reading and acting as a guide.
2. THE REVISION OF THE PARISH’S ELECTORAL ROLL. Many of you will be aware that your name is placed on the parish’s electoral roll, which gives you the right to nominate church members to the PCC (Parochial Church Council) and also to vote at the annual general meeting. A copy for last year is on the notice board and do check your name. This year we are ordered to completely revise our existing electoral roll list and you are kindly asked to fill in the electoral roll application form which you will find on the table at the back of church.
3. CAMDEN COLDWEATHER NIGHT SHELTER (C4WS) 2019 – This charity offers shelter and bed and breakfast in seven of our local churches to homeless persons during the cold Winter months. There is a sheet at the back of church for you to sign (in groups of no more than three persons per Sunday) on the following remaining Sundays - 17th and 24th March.
4. LENTEN QUIET DAY AT EDGWARE ABBEY “WELCOME, DEAR FEAST OF LENT” takes place this Saturday, 9th March from 10 am until 3 30 pm. We leave Holy Cross Church at 9 am. Cost £7 each and please bring a packed lunch. There is a list at the back of church for you to sign if you would like to come. The quiet day will be led by Fr Terrance Bell and makes a sure foundational period of prayer and instruction as the Season of Lent gets fully under way. Not to be missed…
5. P A C T S LEAFLETS FOR INDIVIDUAL GUIDED PRAYER AND PARISH MONTHLY INTERCESSIONS BOOKLETS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE BACK OF CHURCH. Both are available on the parish website (see above).
6. COPIES OF SERMONS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE BACK OF CHURCH. Please take ONE copy from the plastic folders. Each pack contains several! A backlist of sermons can be found on the parish website.
7. ALL CRYPT AND CHURCH BOOKINGS can be made by contacting the Parish Priest, Fr Christopher Cawrse on
020 7278 6263.
8. A WARM WELCOME TO OUR VISITORS THIS MORNING. Tea/Freshly brewed coffee and home-made cake is served at the back of church after this service. Do stay for a short while and meet everyone.