Newsletter for the Second Sunday of Advent
9th Dec 2018
THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CROMER STREET, LONDON WC1H 8JU.
THE SECOND SUNDAY OF ADVENT : JOHN THE BAPTIST
HYMNS FOR THIS PARISH MASS: 12 7 305 336
READINGS FOR THIS PARISH MASS: Baruch 5.1-9; Luke 1.68-79; Luke 3.1-6
PRAY FOR THOSE IN NEED: Jill Mitra, Daniel,
John Joshua, Alma Godfrey, Geraldine Taylor,
Sylvia and Emmanuel Amui, Marybel Moore,
David and Jean Butcher, Grace Spence-Green &
Penny and Bill Spence-Green.
IN MEMORIAM: Lillian Ruff, Louis Lewis,
Frank Harrison, Fr Howard Levett, Nahid Islam,
MASSES THIS WEEK (9th December to 16th December)
Wednesday 6 pm Jane Francis de Chantal
Thursday 6 pm St Lucy, martyr
Friday 12 45 pm St John of the Cross
Saturday 10 30 am
Sunday 16th December:
Parish Mass at 11 am
Third Sunday of Advent (‘Gaudete’ Sunday)
Farewell and Blessing to Peter and Wendy Lowe
NOTICES THIS WEEK : A SHEET WITH ALL UPCOMING CHRISTMAS SERVICES IS NOW AVAILABLE.
1. HOLY CROSS PCC MEETING takes place after Mass this morning at 12 30 pm prompt. Because of this meeting, there will be no Advent Bible Study this morning, but do please pick up this morning’s sermon (copies at the back of church) for your study of John the Baptist and his place within the Season of Advent.
2. ADVENT STUDY GROUPS ON ADVENT SUNDAYS AFTER MASS “The Promise of His Coming” We will be studying scriptural passages for each Advent Sunday to lead us more deeply into the spirit of the Season of Advent. We will be looking at the examples, successively, of Abraham and Sarah, John the Baptist and Mary, the Mother of God. A simple bread and soup/sandwich lunch will be served each Sunday. Copies of the Advent booklet “A Good Advent” written by The Bishop of London, The Rt. Rev’d. Dame Sarah Mullally, are available free for your reading at the back of church –please do take one!
3. TWO REMAINING CAROL SERVICES AT HOLY CROSS FOR CHRISTMAS:
The First Carol Service is for all living in the parish and locality and takes place tomorrow, Monday 10th December
at 11 am and features the tenor Wilfred Adderley and children from Argyle School. This is a beautiful candle-lit service of light and music and not to be missed. Reception afterwards at Greatcroft Day Care Centre in Cromer Street.
The Second Carol Service is really an extended Christmas ‘drop in’ event which incorporates music and carols and which will be held in this church in aid of the Alzheimer’s Society on Tuesday 18th December from 4 ‘til 7 pm. All welcome.
4. FESTIVE CHRISTMAS HIGH TEA takes place in the church crypt on Boxing Day (St Stephen’s Day) Wednesday 26th December at 3 pm. With Christmas music, Christmas pudding and trifle, sandwiches, mince pies and lots of tea! Come and join us for great Christmas company and conversation.
5. CAMDEN COLDWEATHER NIGHT SHELTER (C4WS) 2019 – This charity offers shelter, bed and breakfast in seven of our local churches to homeless persons during the cold Winter months. Our own volunteers from Holy Cross will operate from St George’s Church, Bloomsbury. There is a sheet at the back of church for you to sign (in groups of no more than three persons per Sunday) on the following Sundays in the New Year – Sundays 3rd and 17th of February and Sundays 3rd, 17th and 24th March. Come and help prepare and serve breakfast! We leave Holy Cross Church for St George’s at 6 30 am.
6. P A C T S LEAFLETS FOR INDIVIDUAL GUIDED PRAYER AND PARISH MONTHLY INTERCESSIONS BOOKLETS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE BACK OF CHURCH. Both are available on the parish website (see above).
7. COPIES OF SERMONS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE BACK OF CHURCH. Please take ONE copy from the plastic folders. Each pack contains several! A backlist of sermons can be found on the parish website.
8. ALL CRYPT AND CHURCH BOOKINGS can be made by contacting the Parish Priest, Fr Christopher Cawrse on 020 7278 6263.
9. A WARM WELCOME TO OUR VISITORS THIS MORNING. Tea/Freshly brewed coffee and home-made cake is served at the back of church after this service. Do stay for a short while and meet everyone.