Newsletter for the First Sunday of Lent
Posted on the 18th Feb 2018 in the category Lent 2018
THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CROMER STREET, LONDON WC1H 8JU.
THE FIRST SUNDAY OF LENT : RITE OF ANOINTING WITH LAYING ON OF HANDS.
HYMNS FOR THIS PARISH MASS: 76 From Heav’n You Came Be Still 376
READINGS FOR THIS PARISH MASS: Genesis 9.8-17; 1 Peter 3.18-end; Mark 1.9-15.
PRAY FOR THOSE IN NEED: Jill Mitra, Daniel, John Joshua, Bonnie Crawford, Alma Godfrey, Anna Fox, Jennifer Josephs, David Bradley, Fr Philip Warner, Sylvia and Emmanuel Amui, Jonathon Taylor, Shakti Shah, Geraldine Taylor, John Walsh.
IN MEMORIAM: Lillian Cole, Lucy Adok, Alison Warner, Richard Carlyle, Marion Spencer, Derrick Evans, Una Dolan.
RIP : Matthew Canna Agole.
MASSES THIS WEEK (18th to 25th February)
Wednesday 6 pm
Thursday 6 pm
Friday 12 45 pm St Polycarp of Smyrna
6 pm Stations of the Cross
Saturday 10 30 am
Next Sunday 25th February
The Second Sunday of Lent.
Parish Mass at 11 am followed by
Lenten Bible Study in church (With Bread & Soup lunch).
NOTICES THIS WEEK:
THE FIRST OF OUR LENTEN BIBLE STUDY GROUPS WITH BREAD AND SOUP LUNCH meets after this morning’s Parish Mass promptly at 12 30 pm and we will explore the Gospel reading for this particular Sunday. We will begin in the same way each Sunday during Lent with a lunch of bread and soup and fruit and then proceed to the Bible study. This morning’s Bible study will be led by our preacher, Fr Jim Linthicum.
This Morning, Sunday 18th February : Mark 1.9-15 “Jesus is Baptized”
Sunday 25th February : Mark 8.31-end. “Jesus Predicts his Death and Resurrection”
Sunday 4th March : John 2.13-22. “The Cleansing of the Temple”
Sunday 11th March : John 3.14-21 “Jesus’ Death promises Eternal Life”
Sunday 18th March : John 12.20-33. “The Hour has Come”
1. VOLUNTEERING IN 2018 - COOKING BREAKFAST FOR THE CAMDEN COLD WEATHER NIGHTSHELTER. OUR NEXT VOLUNTEERING DAY IS SUNDAY, 4th MARCH. Our commitment to the Shelter, based at St George’s Church, Bloomsbury, involves cooking and serving breakfast for fifteen or so overnight homeless guests during the Winter period. We always meet outside church and leave promptly at 6 30 am. Please sign the list at the back of church if you can commit to any of the remaining Sundays: Sunday 4th March and Sunday 18th March.
2. FORWARD NOTICE – LENTEN SPONSORED WALK AROUND THE CHURCHES OF THE SOUTH CAMDEN DEANERY on Saturday March 10th 2018 from 11 am. We are raising money for the Camden Cold Weather Night Shelter (C4WS) and have already managed to raise £550. Please sponsor Fr Christopher if you can’t make the walk! We aim to walk south to St Alban’s Church Holborn and then north to St Anne’s Church Highgate and returning via St Martin’s, Kentish Town, St Luke’s Kentish Town and St Michael’s Camden Town to Holy Cross Church via churches along the Euston Road (St Mary Magdalene’s and St Pancras, Euston Road). More walkers urgently wanted – please let Fr Christopher know!
3. IMPORTANT FORWARD NOTICE - THE DATE OF OUR PARISH ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING IS SUNDAY 22ND APRIL 2018 AFTER THE PARISH MASS.
4. P A C T S LEAFLETS FOR INDIVIDUAL GUIDED PRAYER AND PARISH MONTHLY INTERCESSIONS BOOKLETS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE BACK OF CHURCH. You can also find these aids to prayer on the Parish website.
5. COPIES OF SERMONS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE BACK OF CHURCH. Please take ONE copy from the plastic folders. Each pack contains several! A backlist of sermons can be found on the parish website.
6. ALL CRYPT AND CHURCH BOOKINGS can be made by contacting the Parish Priest, Fr Christopher Cawrse on 020 7278 6263
7. A WARM WELCOME TO OUR VISITORS THIS MORNING. Tea/Freshly brewed coffee is served at the back of church after this service. Do stay awhile and meet everyone.